Re: Exhibition of alt imagery

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:25 +0000 (GMT)

> Peter Marshall wrote:
> > One the projects I've never quite got round to is to set up a site
> > which
> > includes both the kind of technical information and discussion that
> > we get
> > in this list together with illustrations and examples. I think this
> > would
> > be so much better than a print publication, firstly in allowing better
> > quality and colour in the illustrations, but perhaps most importantly
> > in
> > that it could be amended and added to.
> >
> > Not to mention that it would be more or less instantly available and
> > free
> > to use. ...
>
> Peter,
>
> You better believe it! If I read one more post saying "you can find out
> how it's done by reading Post-Factory", I'll just puke. (No offense to
> Judy S. as she has done a good job of putting together an informative
> journal, albeit targeted mainly for the gum process.) The thing is -
> answers should be provided for all to digest in this forum of easy
> access and free to use. Don't just reference some journal or document,
> provide the information, and more.
>
> What's the matter with divulging the nuts and bolts of how we do things
> (alt-photo that is). I've put a fairly complete guide to Pt/Pd printing
> on my web site and have kept tract of those getting into the meaty
> sections. I've had a lot of visitors, but wouldn't you guess, not any
> who have published work or reside in academia. One would think there
> would be an interest. I've certainly checked out a lot of web sites.
> You can add my link below to your list of informative sites.
>
> Anyway, the point is this forum (alt-photo list) is a great vehicle to
> do what you've suggested. A web site for detailed, illustrated info on
> the alt-photo issues would be great. I could envision this site to have
> many links to all kinds of sources of alt-photo info. It would be nice
> to have a banner that the links could place on their page to get to the
> main alt-photo linking page. I would expect one of the links to go to
> the Post-Factory journals. I would expect detailed answers to many of
> the inquiries on this list to become a linked page. I would expect on
> going interactive research to take place at a site. I would expect the
> archives to be better organized at a site.
>
> We're beyond the social novelty of this list, we're ready to get down.
> As we seem to do quite well with the technology of alt-photo processes,
> let's make this technology work for us. Having a good, informative,
> accessible, pertinent, and organized site should not only provide us
> with the help we search out from time to time, but will free up more of
> our time for our art.
>
> --
> Jeffrey D. Mathias
> http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/

Jeffrey

Absolutely - this list has seemed to be to be moving away from the list
and the web as a medium of communication and I think it's time to return
and go forward.

I deliberately didn't go through the group adding list members who I know
have sites as I thought they would post themselves - I know there are
quite a few.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/