Re: Chrysotypes

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:32:40 -0500 (EST)

Liam,

Sensitizer: 25 % solution of Ferric Ammonium Citrate
Coat the paper under dim incandescent light in the usual way. When dry,
print with a contact negative under ultraviolet light until a faint image
appears.

Develop in a 1/2 % solution of gold chloride. The solution is supposed
to be neutral( pH about 7).

Wash

Note: the developing is the trick part. The ferric ammonium citrate reacts
with the gold chloride to participate gold which forms the image and, of
course, distroys the gold chloride. No one can afford too much of this.
I tried brushing the gold chloride on but this produced a lot of streaking.
Finally I went out and bought some small disposable paint rollers about
3 - 3 1/2 inchs wide. I saturated these in gold chloride and QUICKLY rolled
them over the print to "develop" it. I got a few nice 4 x 5 prints and a couple
good 8 x 10s this way before I ran out of gold chloride and rollers (you
can only use the roller once).

I did this about two years ago before Dr. Ware came out with his new process.
I always meant to go back to this and try some other things. One thought I
had was to spray the gold chloride on the print, but gold chloride is toxic
so you should wear a respirator if you try this. Also, wear gloves in any
case because you can absorb gold through the skin.

Let me know your results if you try this.

Good luck and happy printing,

Bob Schramm