Toning Cyanotypes

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:18:33 -0500 (EST)

I have recently finished testing every cyanotype toner formula I could get
my hands on. Some did nothing. Some made a slight tonal change. All resulted
in bleaching of the print (so you must print deeper if you plan to tone).
Only two types of toners worked well and produced significant tonal changes.
First, lead acetate toner (5 % solution) will change the prussian blue to a
deeper colbalt blue. It is, however, very toxic and can be absorbed through
your skin; therefore, it is a game not worth the candle (to quote the master).
The tanic acid/sodium bicarbonate toner formulas work very well. There are two
that are worth trying. One can be found in the chapter on cyanotype in
"Keepers of Light." Upon request, I will post the formula to the list. This
toner converts the image to a purple-brown tone. Very pretty. The second was
invented/discovered by Judy Seigel and hence, I call it Seigel-toning. It
is sort of tricky, but can produce wonderful split tones of blue-grey, browns
and violets depending on how it is handled. If Judy will give me permission,
I will likewise post this proceedure.

Bob Schramm