And teapots (was Re: Web vs print (was exhibition alt imagery)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:51:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Peter Marshall wrote:

> Finally? I took it from the start, and provided you via the list and by
> private mail some comments on PF that would have made good advertising
> copy.
>
> And don't forget that I was one of the first UK subscribers, sending you
> $25 more or less by return as soon as I got my copy of #1.
>
> But just because I'm a fan it doesn't stop me pointing out that you got
> some things wrong. Of course as editor it is up to you whether you wish
> correct them. Nor does it stop me suggesting that there are other ways for
> us to share information that may be even more appropriate to the list.

Peter dear, to refresh your memory, in early May, 1998, a weird message
had come onto the list saying that I, moi, Bad Judy, had said something
bad about the list in the first issue of Post-Factory Photography. Folks
demanded to know what that might be.

You explained to the list on May 5, 1998, that I, the aforementioned
Judy, had indeed written in P-F's famed first issue:

"What the publication will *not* be is on the Web, a format unconducive to
coherent thought beyond the 8-second sound bite."

This was in fact an accurate quote from my lead editorial (page 2).

But you continued:

"I assume she is not here thinking about the Web, but about such things as
this mailing list."

Since a day or so earlier, offlist, you had known perfectly well that I
meant the Web, because those were the very words that led you to say my
reasons for not putting P-F on the web "were so amusingly wrong-headed,"
you were clearly being... deliberately misleading. (Which increased my
skepticism about those "corrections".)

I knew you did it to support your old friend, who had made the accusation,
but that hardly excused it (or your later innuendo in the same cause).

I daresay those not here at the time might consider this a tempest in a
teapot. I myself consider it a tempest in a teapot. But, as noted, I've
had it with those teapots ... I regret, Peter, that you insisted on
pursuing this. I had avoided the matter as long as possible out of a,
perhaps mistaken, sense of delicacy. But given all these givens, I try to
set the record straight.

My apologies to all for the teapots and best wishes to all for a happy
Valentines day.

Judy