Re: William Mortensen

Curtis Fant (c392578@showme.missouri.edu)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:32:13 -0600

Keith,

it was more the selection of his works than the actual quality that I
find questionable. It seems easy for some people to see a couple of his
works, label him and slide him back in the drawer. I read a letter in
the archive written by Mortensen replying to a company that wanted to do
photogravures of his work, but he thought they were terrible.

The works were reproduced ok, just selected to slant him in a certain
direction. Also, once I had finally seen the originals, it is hard to
describe how beautiful many were. Any reproduction is always a
comprimise with money.

Hope this makes sense,

Curtis Fant