RE: glass plate+platino+homemade cams.

Hal Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:26:39 -0800

The image circle of your lens is approx. 255mm (using both elements for
180mm focal length) at f:16 focused at infinity, which means it can cover a
little mere than a 5x7. This lens will not quite cover a full plate (6.5 x
8.5 in.) You don't mention where you are but you might have difficulty
obtaining glass plates, at least modern ones are VERY expensive. If you
want to do wet plate you may have better luck. At least financially. There
are others on the list who can give you information on that.

Your camera will need to have at least 180 mm from the lens to the film
plane. Where exactly on the lens you ask? Well, about the middle. But
since you need additional extension to focus it will have to be longer than
that so allow some extra.

To be honest, unless you are a good woodworker and enjoy making this kind of
thing you will be better off purchasing an old wooden view camera in 4x5 or
5x7 and finding plate holders than if you were to build one. But then,
that's part of the process for some.
View Camera magazine has published articles about building and restoring
wooden cameras and you might find some good sources in past issues.

Good luck, have fun

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: M.UMUT SARAC [mailto:drumheller@fornet.net.tr]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 1999 9:03 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: glass plate+platino+homemade cams.

I want to learn about glass-plate photography. William Henry Jacksons
negatives
impressed me very much .I want to start to build a homemade camera and
than print
the negatives on platino - palladium paper.I bought a Schneider -
Kreuznach 12082194
Symmar 1 /5.6 / 180 *** 1:12 / 315. What can be the largest glass
format
for this objective and how can I calculate the all dimentional data of
this camera box.?