Re: William Mortensen

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:29 +0000 (GMT)

> The first edition of Ansel Adams' book was impenetrable, BTW. By one of
> the later editions (Graphic Press or like that?) it was much cleaned up.
> (Maybe he hired Dunham.)

The Basic Photo Series was I think written by Adams himself and remains
think the classic - and I started my real study of photography with 'The
Print'. I'd say it was a model of clarity.

'The New Ansel Adams Photography Series' was a rewrite by Robert Baker in
collaboration with Adams and I think is a 'dumbed down' version of the
original, although usefully brought up to date (1980) in terms of
materials.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/