Lets get back to business (was Re: And teapots (was Re: Web ...))

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:29 +0000 (GMT)

Judy

I simply replied to your message when I read it. Hard to do so
before, even given my capabilities! Since you are not willing to talk
sense I'm not willing to continue. As I keep saying and saying, lets look
at the real issues. These *aren't* about who said what, when. I didn't ask
for a personal attack. I didn't attack you and never have. I can't really
understand why you responded as you did. For heavens sake let's quit and
get on with the show.

I think its a good idea to set up two things:

First a web site with information and examples of the various processes
that represents the information that comes from this group and makes it
readily available to a wide audience.

Second a web exhibition. I'll repeat my offer.

If there is no one else who wishes to take this on, I'll do so. I've taken
part in a number of these and have already posted my proposal for an open
show. There may be other ideas we would want to take up with selectors etc
for later events, but for a starter I'd like to do it on a first come
basis, as I hope this will save argument!

I have two web sites that could be used for this - one I'm totally
responsible for as web master/network manager, but the other has better
connectivity, so I'll probably use that. I'll put up a simple home page
with links to any sites with other work of those taking part (and other
alt-photo sites) and thumbnails. Everyone taking part gets a page with
their picture, caption, process and any other technical detail if
required, contact details (email and/or phone, address etc) if required.
Simple page design with max picture size 500pixels height, 700 pixels
width - including any border you want in this, max file size 50Kb. I'd
also like to put up a short statement / resume about each person taking
part on a link from their picture page, though that would be optional.

If anyone wants to take part, mail me - petermarshall@cix.co.uk - and not
the list. You don't need to send the picture yet, just a description with
title, process, etc, but its simple to attach it to email when you do send
it.

**** DO NOT ATTACH PICTURES ON MAIL TO THE LIST ****
**** MAIL ME, NOT THE LIST *****

If anyone hasn't got access to a scanner, I'm sure there are others on the
list who would help. I could scan prints, but I'd prefer not to have the
added work of posting stuff back by international post, but you could send
a good colour dupe or enprint rather than actual work if you would be
happy with not getting that back. Good digital cameras can also give
satisfactory results, but some of the cheaper models are pathetic. I've
been pleasantly surprised by the results I've got from the Nikon Cool pix
900 though.

The best software I've found for making jpegs is the Independent JPEG
Group's free JPEG software, but its not too easy to use. Photoshop etc do
the job fairly well!

I'll put a page on the show that links to the list in some way in any
case, but I'd like to get some backing from the list so that the title of
the show could be 'The Alt-Photo-Process-List Show' rather than just 'The
Alt-Photo-Process Show'

On the web site proposal, there are already a number of excellent existing
sites run by people here, and I'd think it would be a good idea to build
on one of these if anyone is in a position to offer. Otherwise I'm sure I
could find space on my College web server.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/