Re: jewelia just loves paper!

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:11:38 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, jewelia wrote:
> i use both BFK and Heavyweight--got some right here!
> i can't imagine either coming apart in a good soak of water since they both
> are made primarily for printmaking--run through a press damp after a good
> soak--but of course this would depend upon what happens to be in the water,
> i suppose. True Heavyweight is lighter than BFK but the heavy, i believe is
> compared to another paper called RivesLight--that other than being a lighter
> weight is the same paper.

Jewelia, Fran, & company:

I just checked my Daniel Smith catalog, and sure enough they DO list a
"Rives BFK Heavyweight."

The Rives BFK listed is 250 gsm, 22x30 inches, $2.67 /sheet

The Rives BFK Heavyweight is 280 gsm, 22x30 inches, $3.78 /sheet.

The caption says the BFK Heavyweight is sized a little more heavily than
the standard BFK -- which makes it sound like a good bet to try, all other
things being equal (though of course there is that extra $1.11.)

That's in addition to the *regular* Rives Heavyweight and Rives
Lightweight, by the way. And whether it's something new, or special to
Daniel Smith, or been there all along, I sure don't know.

Incidentally, there's also Rives Moulin du Gue, aka Rives de Lin, which is
a nice sturdy paper, but much coarser texture than the BFK, too much so
for my taste, but McDermott & McGough used it for their gum show a couple
of years back & the prints looked great.

(I think of the doggerel in yesterday's paper about finishes in pantyhose
-- suede matt, satin matt, suede gloss, opaque matt, ... well they were
much more creative than that, but you get the idea, about 20 of them.)

For what it's worth, we have not had good results with the Gray and Tan in
the BFK or others... with gum or cyano. The colorant, whatever it is, may
make the paper resistant to emulsion.

"Regular" BFK has been my/our surefire, easy, no-sweat paper for gum
beginners. (I would usually buy 100 sheets at beginning of semester.) Lots
of advanced gummists also use it.... Which was why the rumor that they'd
"fixed" it was alarming...

(Guess I'll just have to get some more to try.... )

> the White of RivesLight/Heavy is a beautiful off-white, cream is only a
> little deeper--i think quite pretty too. i think myself these are the
> nicest feeling rives papers--smooth and supple wove--These papers are
> watermarked --just RIVES. this paper is a more fragile paper that Rives but
> should take it okay. i soak it real good overnight--blot it and run it

I agree with Jewelia, by the way. For just look and feel I like the Rives
Heavyweight best (probably, I'm NOT very constant in the matter of paper).
But I suspect that lifting a large sheet of well-soaked paper with tongs
out of dichromate-y water puts a bigger strain (on a small spot) than
running it through a press. Or let's say, it gave me trouble, was always
having the edges tear off, even just in the warm gelatin.

> got a stack of BFK here too--both white and gray! yum!
> Rives BFK is heavier than either of the above and a tougher, rougher (more
> tooth) paper 250-280 gm in the ever popular white--a bright one and
> offwhite, cream, tan, & gray. it comes in more sizes--22x30 to 30x44 and in
> 42 inch x 10 and 100 yard rolls--i want one of these!

Jewelia, what would you do with a roll? Just cut it up for different
sized prints? (The 22x30 often doesn't divide into the size prints you
want without a lot of waste.) Or make a really long print? Or? Have you
ever used paper off a roll? I'm wondering if it's really the same.
Sometimes the different forms of supposedly the same thing turn out to be
actually different.

> ... i also run into
> printers who bought large amounts from people running around trying to sell
> reams of this stuff off the back of a beater p/u truck -- more or less what
> is called seconds--i've run into this in Baltimore on occassion--i always
> wondered if it is not a rip-off brand--i mean how much paper can Rives mess
> up? i dunno.

We don't have that kind of pick up truck in Fun City, more's the pity. But
if the price was right.... I mean, the very thought of it inspires.
Imagine a city where they sell -- not VCRs, or watermelons, off the back
of a truck, but Rives BFK !

> next week, how to get those platinum stains off of that pretty Platine! --
> jewelia

We're all ears (or eyes?)...

Judy