Weston Densitometer/density range for platinum

Richard Lahrson (tripspud@hooked.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:01:36 -0800

Hello all!

     I've been checking my Weston Analyzer/Densitometer with the
Stouffer 21 step wedge and the instrument is right on the money,
completely adequate for black and white either/or both zone system/
parametric curves and alternative photographic processes.

     I've seen a number of these instruments on the eBay (where I bought
mine and there's another at auction right now; I have no connection or
interest, just passing along information). Comparing the cost of these
older instruments to a newer, even second-hand, more modern instrumnent
reveals a hugh cost difference, often because the newer instruments can
handle color and reflection density.

     And now a question for the list regarding platinum/pallidium contact
printing: if I wish to design in camera negatives for these alternative
processes what kind of negatives are best suited? In zone system speak,
what log Density should I aim for zone VIII, the white tones just below
the white paper base? For silver this is about 1.45 for contact prints.
For pl/pd maybe 1.65-1.75? I'll guess that the platinum process works
better with a higher density range than traditional silver prints,
even when contact printed or used with a diffusion enlarger.

     I am asking because I am not currently involved with any alt
process, but probably will in the somewhat near future and I would
like to have good negatives to work with the process as the materials
are somewhat costly.

                        Thanks!

                                        Rich Lahrson
                                        tripspud@hooked.net