Density range for platinum

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:20:54 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard Lahrson wrote:

> And now a question for the list regarding platinum/pallidium contact
> printing: if I wish to design in camera negatives for these alternative
> processes what kind of negatives are best suited? In zone system speak,
> what log Density should I aim for zone VIII, the white tones just below
> the white paper base? For silver this is about 1.45 for contact prints.
> For pl/pd maybe 1.65-1.75? I'll guess that the platinum process works
> better with a higher density range than traditional silver prints,
> even when contact printed or used with a diffusion enlarger.

Hai Richard,

I am sure that much more experienced memberes of the list will respond,
but I can probably give a few starting comments:
Yes for Pt/PD (and Ziatype, what I am doing) you defenitely need denser
negatives than for silver gelatine. Maybe it's better to aim for a density
range rather than a Zone (density range: from textured shadow till
textured highlights _ a bit clumsy phrased _, so from the separeted shadow
until the separeted highlight). This range should be around 1.8-2.0.
You can apply contrast control by adding dichromate, but that will
compress your tonal range in my experience, so better aim for the optimal
density range..

Cor Breukel

http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html
"The Infrared Gallery"