Re: jewelia just loves paper!

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:52:33 -0800

keith, et al:

last year to prepare to teach a Pa workshop in my studio--based on my past
experiences--decided to look for a cheap paper that took very little
solution to coat--to keep costs down and allow them to experiment more. i
tried this paper -- this is the one i couldn't remember the name of
earlier -- called rising parchmarque not sure of the exact spelling - it
comes in two colors - sort of an off-white and a somewhat mild goldenrod -
nice pa colors actually. it is semi-opaque (this is how i would describe
it) -- has a mottled look-- like looking through your windshield in a heavy
wet snow storm when you hold it up to the light. as i recall - i never did
find that receipt -- i paid about 40 cents or so for sheets that were 25 x
38 - there abouts--i don't measure up so good-- the draw back i suppose for
some of you afficiandos is that, as i recall, this paper is pure sulfite --
no cotton. oh--my godness no!

to experiment with it, i just wiped my brush off on it after coating a piece
of platine and was able to get a 4x5 out of that most of the time on a piece
of this rising. it buckles when you coat it some but coats pretty even and
doesn't soak through--at least for my students & me--and recovers its
flatness when it drys. in the tray it goes really limp but seems to take a
lot of abuse--i mean it passed the student test on this with flying
colors--a good print on it may not look so good if you hold it up
(unmounted) but in a mount they are really nice--seems the students actually
liked it much better than the platine -- and this seemed to be a better work
shop for it because they sure made a mess--no one slept for a weekend--and
i'm going to make some big prints on it some day--i will, i will--after i do
all the other stuff that comes first on my list--soon as i find where i put
it.

hey --sulfite--its just an idea--wonder if that butcher paper would work?
and then remember i'll print pt or whatever on most anything that'll work
halfway--not just platine (one of my favorites cause its really too soft so
really good to play with sizings on) have some small pa portraits done on
waxed masa--yea--some of the emulsion came off--but geeee! not all of it!
they look a little more of what it is like to try to remember who some one
is than those kodak memories do--so its about them, ideas of art, and
memory--and i like process marks--they are sort of part of my signature
these days--in my gravure i have gone off incorporating stouffer scales all
around and in the image too -- says something about making art you know--
no -- i have no idea what! if i were printing in gum again say--i might
really get into sinking textures in my surface from trays and screens i
use-- i have been known to exhibit pt prints by sinking grommets in them and
hanging them in frames lashed together with 1/4" manila rope--at the top of
the wall near the ceiling--some critic once said i should think about just
nailing them up on the wall--hey so many choices and ideas--but i'm not
quite strong enough to go for nails today--what's a queezy girl to do?

jewelia margueritta cameroon
jewelia@erols.com
i wanna be a paper-girl too