Re: Weston Densitometer/density range for platinum

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:44:27 -0500

Keith S. said it best:
> You'll probably get a variety of answers to this question, since the truest
> is probably "it depends".

I would suggest you check out the Guide to Pt/Pd Printmaking on my web
site (link below). The section on Simultaneous Exposure and Development
Control (The Matrix) provides step by step instructions to answer your
questions.

In addition to the responses give thus far, please consider the
following. White tones are a function of the process as well as many
other factors. DO NOT for the slightest moment think that you can
assign a Density to Zone VIII. Not only is this a zone of values, the
actual density range will be a function of the paper, the process, the
surrounding values. Zone VIII of a gelatin silver print will have a
density different from zone VIII of a Pt/Pd print. Zone VIII of a Pt/Pd
print on paper A will have a density different from zone VIII of a Pt/Pd
print on paper B. And the density ranges of the zone VIIIs of the
negatives will vary as well. (It is not just a denser negative the is
required for Pt/Pd as compared to gelatin silver, it is a negative with
greater range of densities.)

Especially when using palladium, be careful in your interpretations.
Palladium can deliver zones IX, X, XI, and XII in a print (and even
more, it seems to never end).

When the subject is metered, each zone has a certain amount of light
coming from it, each separated by one stop, and referenced to a single
zone (say V, or VIII, or II). The film will render the zones in a
certain way adjustable by exposure and processing, and which should be
adjusted (and optimized) to the printing process and materials used.

The eye is a far better instrument than any densitometer. Use your eye
to adjust your film exposure, negative processing, printing, and
materials to produce the image you want. Train your eye to do this.
The Matrix on my site is a technique to do this.

Do not worry about densities, worry about values.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/