Workshops (was: newsletter information)

Keith Schreiber (stillpoint@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:43:09 -0700

As for tossing platinum prints in the trash, I have 2 thoughts. First, that you can learn a lot from your mistakes especially if you keep good notes. Maybe not right now but sometime in the future. So rather than toss 'em, why not make a few notes on the back and put 'em in a box. If nothing else, after you have mastered the process you can look back at them to see how far you've traveled.

Second, take a workshop. There are at least 2 members of this list who regularly offer Pt/Pd workshops: Kerik Kouklis and Bill Laven. (And others who offer private instruction: John Rudiak, David Michael Kennedy.) This summer at Photographers' Formulary there are Pt/Pd workshops being taught by Dick Arentz (June 13-18), Carl Weese (June 20-25 and June 22 - July 2), Pradip Malde and Roger Vail (July 11-16), and Riuijie Douglas (Aug 1-6). Each of these offers a different approach to the medium. Also, Dick Arentz is giving a 5-day Pt/Pd workshop March 15-19 at Scottsdale Community College in AZ. I can personally vouch for Dick's workshops, since I took it myself about 8 years ago when I got started in Pt/Pd. Occasionally I assist at Dick's workshops in AZ. I know that they can be expensive especially when you add room & board, but if you are serious about learning a new process it can be well worth the investment to learn from someone who has already made all those mistakes and more

By the way, several other list-folks (present or past) are teaching workshops this summer at Photographers' Formulary:

Bob Schramm - Intro to Alternatives (June 20-25)
David Lewis - Bromoil (July 4-9 and 11-16)
Judy Seigel - Gum Printing (July 18-23)
Larry Bullis - Pinhole (July 25-30)
Sandy King - Carbon (July 25-30)
Jonathan Bailey - Beyond Black & White (Aug 1-6)
Mark and France Osterman - Collodion (Aug 8-13)
Mike Robinson - Albumen (Aug 8-13)

I hope this is of some help. Good luck with your Pt/Pd printing.

Keith Schreiber

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Chris Stone <cstone05@sprynet.com>
    To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
    Date: Friday, February 19, 1999 3:37 AM
    Subject: newsletter information

    Hi folks,
        I've just joined this list and am new to alternative processes generally. I've seen references to a newsletter published by Judy Seigel--and of course I've seen some of her lively and informative posts here--and I'd like to know more. More specifically, whether the journal is appropriate for someone who at this point spends much more time tossing platinum prints in the trash than hanging them on a wall. Can someone advise? Much thanks!
    -- Matthew