Re: Lippmann photographs?

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:44:35 -0400

At 4:18 PM -0800 99/2/19, Tox Gunn wrote:
>I'm looking for more info on the process attributed to Lippman, of using a
>fine-grained glass plate backed by mercury to get a full-color image.
>
>I looked through the archives and found a couple of passing references, but
>haven't turned up anything yet that would make me feel equipped to start
>experimenting with it.
=========

The International Directory of Photo Historians has the following entries:

--------------------------
Alschuler, William R. 393 San Benito Way,San Francisco, Ca. 94127. voice:
415-337-6475, fax: 415-337-5250, e-mail: alschulr@muse.calarts.edu AREA(S):
I am the science faculty in the School of Critical Studies,California
Institute of the Arts. My areas of interest are 19th century photography,
with special interest and expertise in Lippmann photography and the birth of
color photography. Also the practice and history of holography. Also image
permanence. Looking for early color images for an exhibition I am curating.
Also images of the Universal Paris Expo of 1900. (97/11/09)

Bjelkhagen, Hans. De Montfort University, Leicester LE1 9BH, England. voice:
44116-250 6145, fax: 44116-250 6144, e-mail: hansholo@aol.com AREA(S): I am
working on color holography and Lippmann photography. In particular, I have
been investigating the old color photography technique invented by Gabriel
Lippmann in 1891. There are many similarities between his work and my
current work on color (Lippmann) holography. I have been able to record
Lippmann photographs according to the old described technique as well as
recorded Lippmann photographs on modern materials, such as, SLAVICH silver
halide emulsions from Russia and panchromatic photopolymer materials from
DUPONT. I have also recorded Lippmann photographs without using the mercury
reflector. Copies of almost every old book or paper on Lippmann photography
is in my collection as well as current publications on Lippmann photography.
(98/03/07)

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada