Re: More votes for Rollo

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:40:22 -0500

Sandy,

In practice I don't use the rollo formula at 1:2:50 (except for
contrast-resistent HP5+) as recommended by Harald but find I do better
with TXT and BPF 200 with 1:2:75 and with FP4+ at 1:2:100.

I think you are right that rollo gives a steeper curve in the
highlights, but this is actually a benefit for Ziatype printing without
contrast agents to take full advantage of the system's self-masking
properties.

I also agree that Harald's formula is a significantly different
developer from PMK, but OTOH it's certainly a close relative and member
of the "pyro family". BTW, one test that I made using rollo in a tray
resulted in high-contrast silver images of extreme acutance with very
little pyro stain. I've not yet seen an aging problem with the new
formula but you could be right about that. Maybe Harald has some
relevant data?

---Carl