Re: re-photographing negatives

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:41:16 -0500

Joel,

joel lederer wrote:

> Hi,
> Has anyone tried "taking a picture" of a small negative on a light
> table with a large format camera. I realize that a very long bellows
> stretch would be necessary but I think that about 20 inches extension on
> a 4x5 would be okay for a 6x6 cm neg and maybe 35mm.

It's really simpler to use an enlarger: light tables aren't as evenly
illuminated as colorheads, you'd have a devil of a time setting up your
camera with alignment as good as a decent enlarger, and standard taking
lenses are definitely not at their optimum performance when working at
several diameter's enlargement. It's comparatively easy to use a regular
enlarger with a sheet of film in the easel instead of standard paper.

---Carl