Re: Printing Out Papers

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:37 +0000 (GMT)

> Don't remember where I read this but the idea was to take developing
> out paper
> and soak it in developer and dry it. Than this could be used as POP in
> the way
> described below.
> Anybody heard of that? I think it might have been E.J. Wall.
> Joel Lederer
>
> Michael Keller wrote:
>
> > Does this work with sunlight, or does it need to be _only_ UV?
> >
> > Darlington Media Group wrote:
> >
> > > If you just wish to experiment with p.o.p. papers and the images
> > > that they
> > > produce .... then why not save a few bucks and use ordinary
> > > enlarging
> > > (develop out) paper instead!!
> > >
> > > Just load a sheet of Ilford Multigrade paper (or whatever you have
> > > to hand)
> > > into a contact frame with your negative under normal safelight
> > > conditions
> > > and expose to ultra violet light.

It works with sunlight - I normally use a negative printed out on the
laser printer for this as a demonstration in one of the courses I teach,
though large actual negs are faster and more detailed. Generally the
images are weak with most papers designed for developing, although I've
got some interesting colours.

You might improve this by soaking with silver nitrate then drying rather
than using developer, or possibly a mix of silver nitrate and developer.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/