Re: Fwd: Re: Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:50:26 -0500

Judy,

Yes, David refers to the premium paid for vintage prints over better,
modern ones as his dealer's "stupidity fee." But actually I'd thought
the discussion was more about 'truth in advertising' or disclosure--or
even bragging rights--rather than market value. Of course the big bucks
go to the celebrity photogs, not to the best prints.

A propos of that though we recently saw a show of huge Francis Bacon
paintings at the newly reopend British Museum in New Haven. Now Bacon
was famously famous and a "bad boy" at that, but I was pleased and
stunned to see that he was a breath-takingly good painter too.
Mind-boggling paint-handling that is of course completely invisible when
you reproduce a seven-foot high canvas in a book. You gotta see the
originals to realize it. But we'd be kidding ourselves to think that
many of his paintings sold for this reason instead of the notoriety of
the subject matter.

---Carl