Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:06:43 -0500

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> A.D. Coleman wrote an essay a few years back where he divided photographers
> up into to classes: imagemakers and printmakers. As alt folks we clearly
> fall into the latter category -- and we are clearly in the minority.

I have not read the essay by A.D. Coleman and so am not familiar with
HIS definition of imagemakers and printmakers (please enlighten, if
you're able). However concerning the traditional interpretation of
imagemaker and printmaker, I most definitely consider myself an
imagemaker.

Clearly, at least to myself, what I am interested in is making
(creating) an image. The printmaking is an essential part, as is the
negative making, the photographing, the understanding and training, the
curiosity and exploration, et cetera, et cetera. Sure, I don't do
everything. I don't make my own film or paper. However, I do select
them.

As to printmaking, there is just no way an image could be called mine if
it is not printed by me. Oh yes, I could stand as overlord and direct
others to do my biding. But, I just would not be satisfied by that; the
work would be missing some familiarity. As well, I would never have
someone develop my film or set up my camera; it just wouldn't be my
image. Well "you" think "you" can copy or imitate my work; well just
"you" try it; "you" have no idea or understanding of the nuances
involved; "you're" just not me.

[NOTE: Anti-flame comment: The "you"s should obviously be interpreted
as an example and fictitious persona. That's what the quotes are for.]

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> ... Having darkroom assistants "help" in the process is different than
> sending stuff off to have it made. ...
True, but it's also different than doing it yourself.

Anyway, back to the imagemaking. I don't make prints, I create images.
The printmaking is but a part of the process to get me there. However,
the nuances of the printmaking are essential to the image; to me the
image is just not there if not printed properly.

I guess an issue for us (alt-photo folks) is how do we get the message
out there, to the collectors, gallery owners, and museum staff. How do
we let them know that our work has merit? How do we do this when they
are preoccupied with the latest pop-con-artists? There is just too much
cr-- out there. Perhaps a guild could direct interest more toward those
who deserve it (and earned it)(individual or collaborative).

How does the word get out? It is a travesty that what Judy indicates is
true.
Judy Seigel wrote:
> ... Meanwhile, on the subject of *money*, in my experience a "collector" is
> just as likely to be impressed that a photographer doesn't have to slave
> her/himself doing the dirty work in the darkroom, but is hotshot enough to
> have a team of experts to do it for him/her, while s/he spends the energy
> getting inspiration and hanging out in trendy restaurants. ...

I would like someone to just appreciate my work on its own merits. Ask
yourself this question: Was the last piece of art you purchased because
you liked it or because of who made it? The last piece I purchased for
cash was a ceramic piece I liked at $140. I didn't know anything about
who made it, I just liked it. It's interesting that the last piece I
added to my collection was a photograph trade (sight unseen, pot luck).

There is just too much activity in the art world interfering with art.
At least when it comes to alt-photo art, I feel we can and should make a
difference. We can educate the collector, the gallery owners, the
museum curators. We can provide a forum for them to find information.
We can create standards of credibility and authenticity. We've got a
good network of folks on this list; let's do it.

Shall a working group (small) be formed to put together a rough draft to
go out to the list for modification and refinement? This could be done
by E-mail with perhaps a meeting if appropriate. Perhaps a small list
server could be set up for the working group. I would be interested.
What say you?

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/