Re: Reversal Neg. contrast control

Joao Ribeiro (jribeiro@greco.com.br)
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:07:43 -0300

Hi Dave

> > But with very careful development and VERY
> > careful exposure it has a nice (if short) linear area. I've found (I'm new
> > using this, so take my comments with "salt") that a near perfect exposure
> > is needed to insure you don't loose highlight of shadw contrast.
>
> Exactly! That is because the "exposure range" (the range where we have nice
> separation) of lith film is short, so one must place the exposure so that
> every details fall within this range.

Today I tested the process with developer #1 dektol 1:4 and developing for 5
minutes.Exposure times were huge and I could add some burning and dodging to it.
I am printing a positive image untill it looks like the way I want the print to
be, then using a factor of 2 1/2 for base exposure and test striping for the
flash.
Once the first neg. is made ok, I don't change the flash and test for a good
positive only. I made 3 good negatives today.
I think the good results where to be credited to the long exposure (easier to
control) rather than anything else!
I noticed that the color of the image changes from the positive to the negative
one. The positive is more neutral and the negative a bit more brown. Why?

Joao