Re: Toning cyanotypes

Leslie Bauer (bauer@california.com)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:57:58 -0800

Hi I'm new to the list.

Its rather interesting that you ask that question today, I just taught my
class cyanotype toning this morning. I do use tannic acid but the powdered
version and mix it 30g to 1,000ml of distilled water. For purple black I
bleach the print with 125ml of ammonia to 1,000ml of distilled water for
less than a minute, wash the print and then tone it in the tannic acid for
5 minutes. Be carefull with the ammonia, where a mask. Its the only toning
I know that is stable. If anyone knows of other stable toning methods for
cyanotype I would love to know.

Leslie

>I know that there was a rather lengthy thread a few weeks back, but I
>ignored it initially since I had never seen a toned cyanotype that I
>liked. I did see one today toned in tannic acid, i.e. tea, and I thought
>it looked great. I tried it at home, with various strengths of tea, and
>got some "toned" paper. In other words, it was just stained. Has anyone
>out there had any success with this method?
>
>regards,
>
>William Linne

Leslie Bauer Photography
(415)824-8671