Re: Toning cyanotypes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 02:05:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Leslie Bauer wrote:

> Hi I'm new to the list.
>
> Its rather interesting that you ask that question today, I just taught my
> class cyanotype toning this morning. I do use tannic acid but the powdered
> version and mix it 30g to 1,000ml of distilled water. For purple black I
> bleach the print with 125ml of ammonia to 1,000ml of distilled water for
> less than a minute, wash the print and then tone it in the tannic acid for
> 5 minutes. Be carefull with the ammonia, where a mask. Its the only toning
> I know that is stable. If anyone knows of other stable toning methods for
> cyanotype I would love to know.
>
> Leslie

The tannic acid, if your solution is fresh, doesn't stain the paper base
but just creeps in where the cyanotype has been bleached by the alkali.
We've had good luck with sodium carbonate, also sodium hydroxide for the
bleach, too. Do you mean 125 ml of household (5%) ammonia, Leslie, or
strong (28% ) ammonia?

But strong tea is itself a dye, or toner. Printmakers use it to give an
allover tone. (Or coffee, either). So naturally it stains the paper base.
The tannic acid solution will, too, when it discolors, but otherwise not.

Judy