Re: I still have a unanswered question

Tox Gunn (tox@remarque.org)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:21:12 -0800

Just a misc safety tip-
>From observing the trend to preparing concentrated stock solutions to be
diluted before use, want to warn anyone who might be tempted to try this
with the dichromate and acid mentioned. As dilute solutions with normal
precautions they're reasonably safe. Without the benefit of that extra liter
of water you end up with something we used to use as a high-test glass
cleaner "dip" (think Dip from Roger Rabbit). Someone in protective gear would
plunge axle-grease/vaseline/muck covered glassware using chem&heat resistant
gloves, and bring the glassware out "sheeting". "Used" solutions were
poured through phone books as a demo in beginning chem lectures as an
example of oxidizers.

(Sorry if this is too close to a Safety and MSDS Paranoia rant, just have
fond memories and a healthy respect for the chrome-acid system. I occassionally
consider using it as a glassware cleaner at home before wisdom steps in..;)

Tox