Re: Experience with the Argyrotype [not: Argotype]?

Leonard Flanagan (ldflan@hotmail.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:54:51 -0800 (PST)

I agree with most of the comments so far. Lovely image colors possible.
Easy process. Hard (for me, anyway) to achieve same colors with
kallitype. Big problem is image bleed, and it's a big enough problem
that I haven't used the process much since initial experiments, though I
mean to get back to it. Small amounts of wetting agent will make the
image silver stick to some papers better, but other papers are hopeless.
I have thought about mixing sensetizer with a colloid to overcome this
problem, but haven't tried it yet. If someone has, I'd like to know the
results. I am sure doing so would change the image color because in my
experience different sizing agents will yield sometimes dramatically
different colors, too. Use very contrasty negatives.

BTW -- Sulfamic acid is available at hardware stores CHEAP. Look in the
same place where muriatic acid and other tile/cement cleaners are kept.
Mine is from Eagle. Works great.

>From: Adam Kimball <akimball@finebrand.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Experience with the Argyrotype [not: Argotype]?
>Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 11:28:58 -0800
>
>Sheesh, I should at least get the name right.. It is Argyrotype, not
Argotype.