Re: UV exposure meter? (fwd)

Francesco Curcio (msepa.fcurcio@ntt.it)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:18:28 +0100

Cor Breukel wrote:

> It looks form the first graph that the spectral sensitivety of their meter
> is around 300-320nm, the graph shows a 1000 times less sensitivity around
> 330-340nm, wavelengths more interesting to us.
>
> So unless the meter is extremly sensitive overall, it is probably not very
> usefull, although a real test would be interesting..
>
> Cor Breukel

Cor,

a search "in depth" of this site (www.safesun.com) shows they are
proposing three models of UV meter, all very similar externally
but with different features:

1) "Safesun" - this is the model you are probably referring to, aimed at
a consumer's market, with a spectral sensitivity tuned to closely
match human skin's "Erythemal Response Spectrum" to solar light,
that is in the range 300-340 nm, across UVB and UVA, with
the highest sensitivity to shorter and more skin burning UVB wavelenghts
at 300 nm. Sensitivity to UVA, as you noticed, is set to rapidly decrease
approaching 340 nm.
Price is $169.00

2) "UV Radiometer UVTex a+b idm" - declared sensitivity is in the
range 300-370 nm, across UVB and UVA, with the plotted graph peaking
at 350 nm and still showing a "relative sensitivity" not lower
than 50% of the peak from 305 to 365 nm.
Amongst the listed applications are:
Monitoring the performance of UV lamps... in the 300-370 nm range.
Scientific research... photochemical reactions.

3) "UV Radiometer UVTex 3600 idm" - declared sensitivity is in the
range 350-375 nm, focussed in the UVA zone, with the plotted
graph peaking at 365 nm and a "relative sensitivity" not lower
than 50% of the peak from 355 to 372 nm.
Listed applications are similar to the preceding model.

I wasn't able to find the prices of the two latter models, but I understand
these should be simpler and cheaper devices than the Safesun.
According to Judy's, it seems the UVTex 3600 could be
quite adequate to meter exposure of dichromates, and I guess a good
tool for Pt/Pd too.

Certainly deserving further investigation and comments by technically-aware
list members, considered the attractive price.

Francesco Curcio

Milano Italy