Re: Making silver nitrate was Argyrotype chemistry

Jacques Augustowski (jacquesa@acd.ufrj.br)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:03:02 -0300 (GRNLNDST)

> Judy,
In many parts of the world its still a practice to put silver nitrate on
the eyes of the newly born.
I've made from potassium tetrachloroplatinate to powdered ferric oxalate.
Using a fume hood and the usual precautions there's no problem.
Reminding I'm not a chemist ( I had lessons from a chemist ). For those
who use small amounts buying is cheaper than having a home made lab. The
problem of telling a neophyte in the list how to handle dangerous
chemicals is of a great responsibility. When you are in a classroom you
can monitor all procedures.
Jacques

  I'll add that those of you who are as old as I am probably