Re: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd (fwd)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:51:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> The name "Platinotype" is used by Bostick & Sullivan, a (if not the)
> major supplier of materials for Pt/Pd processes. I think the name
> originated there. (Maybe Dick Sullivan will verify or deny this.) It
> is indeed the same as Cranes Crest Natural White Wove 90# Cover. The
> same paper is also available as Cranes Artificial Parchment from New
> York Central Art Supply. I have here some of each of those as well as
> a small (8.5 x 11) ream in Cranes original packaging complete with
> label. They all look and feel the same. So I wonder if you may have
> used something else at your seminar. Cranes Kid Finish, an excellent
> paper in it's own right, is often used in workshops since it is very
> easy to work with and is available in many stationary shops. Just a
> guess.

Keith, several thousand years ago (about 5000000000000000000000) we used
to have an oddlot paper supplier in the back of a discount clothing store
on lower Broadway, where we got incredible buys on all sorts of goodies
that Gabe cut to size on his guillotine. I also got & still have a stack
of paper with the watermark "Cranes Crest" all over the damn place. It's a
stationery weight, tho I have it in 22 by 30 inches. It works fine for
pl-pd & cyano, any iron process in fact, tho the watermark usually shows,
so I now tend to cut it up for stationery.

This doesn't sound like the paper you describe. Are there 2 (or more)
Crane's Crests?

And for those who have been asking and asking, yes, yes, today there were
two golden crocus bulbs growing in the tree pit in front of our house, &
more on the way -- easily outshining the nubs of chewed gum in fluorescent
colors contributed by unnatural forces.

cheers,

Judy