Re: paper language

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:12:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, jewelia wrote:

> if they shrivel and curl or otherwise are too strange--what i do -- after
> showing due respect to my blessed materials -- is take a misting bottle
> filled with distilled water -- and mist the back of the paper ever so
> gently -- just enough so that we both feel relaxed -- you know give it a
> chance -- once your paper says auuggghh! and relaxes -- again with all due
> respect -- place it in your blotter stack -- some people -- particularly
> printmakers -- would use a piece of white tissue or interleaving between the
> blotter and the print surface--you know to protect the picture and keep the
> blotters clean

jewelia, thanks for the rundown on paper. I do sort of similar flattening
under heavy plate glass on my work table, because I do not alas have the
floor space for stacks you probably have down there in god's country. But
sometimes that just will NOT get the kinks out of a print that has
drastically uneven coating -- say really thick gum in some sections, or
really thick gelatin size on one side only, or a very thickly layered
print in the middle of empty borders.

Some of these just seriously pucker, & to get the pucker out takes heat,
and maybe not then. So I'm inclined to try your mist-on-the-back, but, do
you mean to say that does NOT lead to mildew on the print? Maybe there's
more air in there with the blotters? Or maybe the plywood top is more
permeable than the glass -- but .... what would you do if you *got* mildew
on a print that was one-of-a-possible kind? Is there a mildew eraser?

PS. What do you use for a "misting bottle"?

Judy