Re: Wax and longevity

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:39:59 +0000

Joao Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am printing Kallitypes in a very thin paper and I like the way it
> looked wet, so I decided to wax it.
> Will the wax protect the print from weather, I mean, will my print last
> longer waxed?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Joao

Once when I was toying with the idea of waxing prints I was warned
against it by someone who said that the oil in the wax could compromise
the longevity of the paper. Someone at Light Impressions told me that
Renaissance Wax is okay because it's acid-free. So which is true, or
neither? At any rate I too would like to hear what the expert
conservators here think about waxing alternative prints. Thanks.
Katharine