Re: Wax and longevity

Richard Morris (richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:08:53 +0100 (BST)

if you think about it the best preserved photographic images as the waxed
paper negatives of the early calotypists. I believe that Talbot used bees
wax. have also seen 19th c waxed prints - again perfectly OK if you want
them translucent.

Richard Morris

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:39:59 +0000 Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
wrote:

> Joao Ribeiro wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am printing Kallitypes in a very thin paper and I like the way it
> > looked wet, so I decided to wax it.
> > Will the wax protect the print from weather, I mean, will my print last
> > longer waxed?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Joao
>
> Once when I was toying with the idea of waxing prints I was warned
> against it by someone who said that the oil in the wax could compromise
> the longevity of the paper. Someone at Light Impressions told me that
> Renaissance Wax is okay because it's acid-free. So which is true, or
> neither? At any rate I too would like to hear what the expert
> conservators here think about waxing alternative prints. Thanks.
> Katharine

Richard Morris
Brunel University, UK
richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk