Re: about exotic ferric oxalte and ziatype

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:14:14 -0700

I'm all ears Nze! -- (idiomatic English meaning I want to hear all about
it.) Please keep good notes and report back. It sounds interesting.

Cesium ferric oxalate sounds neat. I've got formulas for making lithium
ferric oxalate and sodium ferric oxalate from ferric oxalate in The New
Platinum Print. I think Wares method of using Ferric nitrate leaves you
with some excess nitric acid which acts like chlorate of dichromate, so I
don't recommend that route.

Lithium adds a hint of brown, in fact impossible to get a neutral black
with it like you can with the ammonium. Sodium is also warmer in tone but
seems to boost contrast. Carl and I did some rudimentary exploration of the
exotic FO's but that's about it.

--Dick Sullivan

At 07:28 AM 3/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>hello all
>
>I would like to make some test with other exotic oxalate salt.
>As I find it a simple way to change slightly the color and the contrast of
>the print . I 'm interesting in the effect of other exotic salt.
>But before testing i would like to know if someone ever test and what the
>result of the test.
>
>I would like to test : potassium ferric oxalate (would as hygroscopic as
>ammonium?)
> caesium ferric oxalate
> tin ferric oxalate
> calcium ferric oxalate