Re: Kallitype

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:44:42 -0700

It is my impression from extensive reading of the historical literature on
Kallitype that the only manly way to make good Kallitypes was by using a
formula that called for the silver nitrate to be in the developing solution.

I have never tested this out personally and don't know of anyone who has
made prints this way, at least living people. The idea of a print with it
all in the emulsion is appealing and I think became the de facto method
despite not being the best method.

Just a thought for the experimentally inclined.

--Dick Sullivan

At 08:31 AM 3/20/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I agree with Judy. It is almost impossible to tell the difference between a
>pt/pb print and a well made kallitype. An old friend of mine, who was the
>director of a local arts center, once told me that she had to send a bunch
>of donated 1900 prints to a chemist to find out what they were.
>
>Judy, yes you can use selenium on kallitypes. Use VERY dilute solution. It
>has been about ten years since my last kallitype, but I remember using
>something like 1/8 teaspoon of selenium to a quart of water. If memory serves.
>
>Joe Portale

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com