Re: pyro question

Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:32:27 -0700

On Sun, 04 Apr 1999 22:14:33 -0500 you wrote:

>Joe,
>
>For Pt/Pd, you are definitely concerned with the combined density >of
silver and stain. But remember, the only thing that really >counts is
whether you can get good prints from your negative. The >densitometer is
only useful if it makes that task easier.

Yes, I understand the final image is what we are working towards. I run a
step wedge through the densitometer as a starting point when using a new
film or developer. I have used pyro with conventional silver for a few
years and know what it can/can't do. I was just confused on the silver
density + stain issue. You've answered this. Thank you.

>And your question brings up the point, can anyone speak from >experience
about how the pyro stain interacts with some of the >other alternate
processes of interest here? Does the negative that >prints ok in either
silver or Pt because of the pyro development >also print in cyanotype
(which with a traditional simple silver >negative needs a gamma
intermediate between those two) or Van Dyk >Brown? ---Carl

I tried a couple of years back with Salted Paper and Argyrotypes. was never
able to get the range that I needed for the salted paper using Tmax and
Agfa APX in pyro. The Argy's actualy printed fine, but the exposure of the
argy sensitizer became painfully long with my equipment. ---Joe