Re: pyro question

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 11:51:11 -0500

Joe Portale wrote:

 The Argy's actualy printed fine, but the exposure of the
> argy sensitizer became painfully long with my equipment. ---Joe

You can expect pyro negatives to take 50% to 100% longer to expose in a
UV source for Pt/Pd compared to "regular" negatives. For my negs and
lightsources this means typical exposures in the 15 to 25 minute range
instead of the 6-10 range. Paradoxically, I find this improves
efficiency and workflow. The exposure time is sufficient to prepare the
next sheet while also tending the wet steps of the previous one. The UV
box is only off long enough to change the neg/paper sandwhich in the
frame and sustained production is three or four prints an hour.

An interesting side note is that negatives developed in a tray with
standard PMK pyro _look_ substantially different from those rotary
processed with the ABC+/Rollo formula, but they *print* pretty much the
same (at least with HP5+ and TXT, other film tests to follow).

---Carl