Re: Diatamaceous earth

Eugene Robkin (erobkin@uwc.edu)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 11:28:17 -0500

I don't know if any of these choices are still available or would work but
for what it is worth:

At least here in the US diatamaceous earth is available in rather large
sacks from swiming pool supply coumpanies. It is used to pack the water
filters in some systems. You might be able to obtain some in small
quantities if they have an open sack around.

Furriers use diatamaceous earth to clean furs. In that form the product is
called fullers earth. I've bought small containers of the stuff from a
pharmacy (chemists) but that was years ago.

As a possible substitute, the fiberglass fabrication people use amorphous
silica as a filler and drip preventer in their resins. They also use other
things like powdered walnut shells but that might be hard to wet out in a
gelatine mix.

In any case diatamaceous earth is the remains of the silicate shells of
marine diatoms and along with the amorphous silica represents a severe
respiratory health hazard. Wear masks.

Regards,

ER