Re: 6.5 X 8.5 Negative Storage

Ed Herny (edphemra@pacbell.net)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 12:05:19 -0700

Sandy King wrote:

> Some months back I acquired a 6.5 X 8.5 Gundlach Criterion View, and after
> a fair amount of restoration work have finally started to make negatives
> with the camera. Any suggestions for a good negative storge system for this
> format? I would be especially interested to know if there are any plastic
> sleeves or envelopes for this format, or sleeves or envelopes which I could
> easily adapt to the format.
>
> If there are any 6.5 X 8.5 users out there with suggestions, help!
>
> Sandy King
Hi Sandy,
My experience has been that the various archival supply companies sell
the "right stuff" (archivally sound) but their prices are too high,
perhaps because they market mostly to "institutions" who, despite tight
budgets, are, after all, spending other people's money, and sometimes
don't comparison shop for price as much as they might. Plastic
product suppliers, on the other hand, are often very competitive
pricewise, but don't take the archival issue seriously enough.
One way to go on this which combines archival correctness with low cost
is polypropylene sleeves. These are also crystal clear, which means
you would not have to remove the negatives from the sleeves to look at
them.
They are manufactured for the comic book and magazine collecting world
and would work fine for negatives. There is no stock size exactly 6.5
x 8.5, but there is one 6 7/8 x 10 1/4 which you could use as is, or
trim the long side, or fold over the long side. Alternatively, this
size is available with a resealable flap which could be folded down to
8.5 and sealed in that position. The adhesive is very "friendly" in
that it is resealable, and "gentle" enough that it does not tend to snag
items passing across it on their way into the bag.
There are a plethora of suppliers of these products, but the cheapest I
have found is Charles Abar in San Carlos, CA.
The resealable sleeves in this size are $3.00/pack of 100, $41.50/case
of 2000. The standard ones are $2.00/pack of 100, $21.50 case of 2500.
The contact info is:

Charles Abar's Warehouse
1011-C Bransten Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
650-592-0875

Hope this helps. Let me know how it works out.

Ed Herny