flashing/ 1st try at Lawless Lith Film Reversal

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:28:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> control. I do use flashing in some special applications (not reversal), and I
> put special effort in having long flash time for control reason. You can
> prolong flash time by increasing the height of enlarger head, closing f stop,
> using neutral density filter, or use a separate light for flashing (e.g. a
> low light directed toward the ceiling).

In my experience a separate light for flashing is an *enormous*
convenience. Saves refocussing, removes booby trap of stopping down &
forgetting to stop up, let alone moving enlarger head (which has to be
pretty drastic to do more than double time) etc. etc.

True, it cost $100 for the extra digital timer and dimmer for the bulb (&
each new digital timer I've bought has been more hateful than the previous
one, what is their problem?, they don't know to make knobs bigger than
peas and differentiatable in the dark, the morons, deserve to get
bankrupt, not rich, there's no justice), but that's a one-time expense & I
figure my sanity, or semi-sanity is worth at least $105, not to mention
savings in film not wasted. (Details & drawing of bulb aimed at ceiling in
Sabatier article, Post-Factory #2, page 13.)

Judy