Re:caramic images

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 06:18:00 -0700

Friends (and Galina)
A student came to me and wishes to make a photographically correct … I mean
here an image w/normal contrast … life-size self portrait on ceramic tile.
I thought the bast way was to use decals.
Do any of you have any thoughts on how to approach this?

I think he wishes to use normal square bathroom tiles (5 inches square) and
mount them on a sheet of plywood. There is possibility to use larger tiles
which I think would work better.

I'd mentioned a simpler approach by using Photoshop & a program called Terrazzo
to create an image out of multiple small tiles in 10 shades of gray. He felt
this to not be accurate enough and, I think, too painstaking.

thanks in advance for your advice
Jack Fulton
SF Art Institute