Re: Argyrotype Update

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:12:47 -0600

I think the main cause of iron-silver processes having this trouble is the fact that many of the iron citrate/oxalate compounds are indeterminate, that is they don't have a real chemical formula and are more mixtures than compounds. Taking this into consideration, it is obvious that the formulas for the process are only approximate. The way Adam is making the Argyrotype juice is probably the better way. If he keeps adding the sulfamic acid until the precipitate is dissolved he probably won't have too much excess of sulfamic acid. Then again, I am not sure if an excess of sulfamic acid is harmful to the process.

--Dick

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com