Re: Ziatype?

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:10:51 -0600

 Till one day I noticed
that if I touched the edge of the coating with a damp finger it would turn
dark after exposure. Well that was it for me and I plunged the print into the
water without developing. It was the best print I had done thus far with good
Dmax and brilliant highlights. I don't know if that is enough to make a new
process but I now call it the "Miatype". :)

Paul,

That sounds very interesting. I assume you are saying that you touched an exposed print with a wet finger and noted an image forming.

We've noted that a dry Ziatype could be developed in potassium oxalate or ammonium citrate or etc with fairly good results but I don't recall having just tried water alone.

Once you start playing with all the variables in the Ziatype printing system you'll find it is an endless maze. It takes people like yourself who are observant and willing to "give it a shot" to expand the possibilities of the Ziatype. The one big advantage the Ziatype promises is the ability to control many of the image parameters to a degree not possible with DOP. The POP bit is nice, but the image controls are where it is really at.

You should be able to get good results in the midwest in winter. Is it too humid???

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com