Re: Zia and Bianfang 360 ?

Brian D. Miller (Brian.D.Miller@Dartmouth.EDU)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:36:32 -0400 (EDT)

--- You wrote:
Does anyone have any practical experience using Zia approach with the less
absorbent papers such as Bianfang 360 or the vellum papers? Most seem to be
reporting success using the somewhat absorbent papers. As Zia is a moisture
dependent POP it might seem to be somewhat harder to control this aspect
with a more surface coated paper.
--- end of quote ---

Yes, Bienfang is a bit tricky with Zia, but it is possible. Your best bet is to work on a nice rainy spring day, let nature take care of the humidifying process for you. However if you do live in another climate you can use a humidifier. One problem is that during long exposures the humidity tends to "leak" out of the paper, especially at the edges. What happens is a slight, sometimes barely perceptible, color change. I have found that you can also re-humidify the paper after exposure to clear up some humidity related problems.
I have always wondered about backing the bienfang with slightly damp blotter paper during exposure, but at this point I have never tried it. Perhaps this weekend.
Good Luck,

Brian Miller
Department of Studio Art
Dartmouth College