Re: Cyanotype problem

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:39:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Mac Legrandi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I haven't done any printing since December. The A & B chemistry is
> about 8 months old. I was printing today of Strathmore Bristol board.
> My prints are very washed out. Even with very long exposures and a
> citric acid wash.
>
> I forget which one, but there is some growth in one of the chemicals.
> I just filtered it. Is the chemistry bad?

Mac, the ferric ammonium citrate gets a mold, which in my experience
filters off without a problem (and rarely returns, for some reason). A bit
of thymol in the solution will allegedly prevent that if it bothers you.

I have used cyanotype A & B that were more than a year old with quite
normal results, so the question that comes to mind is, in what and where
were they stored? If in plastic, or with metal cover, and/or in warm
area, and/or not in dark glass, all bets are off. Also, needless to
ask, were all other conditions the same? Like the paper? Some papers
resist resist resist.

Judy