Re: Too much equipment

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:22:57 +0000

Dan-

I'm going to play the devil's advocate:

I think there is something to be said for limiting our acquisitive natures
in the name focusing our creative intent. While I agree completely that we
all need the tools of the trade, I frequently observe that the cart is
before the horse all too often: fascination with the tools and obsession
with the details of the process seem easier to satisfy than actually
dealing in and with the images.

In other words, if the equipment is serving the images and is not simply
the next step in avoiding them - if the images are *asking* for and
requiring this new equipment (or new film, or new paper/process) - then I
think you're on solid ground, otherwise the lingering doubt that prompts
you to ask the question in the first place might merit further contemplation.

Best wishes-

Jon Bailey