Re: RC longevity (was -------)

Ken Sinclair (photo1@telusplanet.net)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:31:54 -0600

Judy et al.,

I believe that Ctein, in his recent book "Post Exposure", stated that he
was still not satisfied that RC paper was as good (archivally) as the
manufacturer's claim.

I have a few that I printed but a few years ago, which seem to have had
some sort of "silver migration" to the surface. In looking at these prints
at an angle, it looks almost like a partial negative image.

I have now given up on RC paper except for temporary "quickie" proofing.

>> Also, I believe it was David Vestal or Ctein, tested RC papers and noted
>> the improvements have been major and the emulsion and archival aspects
>> were now excellent.
>
>Ctein had a series of articles in Photo Techniques in which he documented
>his disaster with RC paper. He had evidently, decided to do some
>EXHIBITION prints on RC. (The reason for this told to me was that he saw
>some Mapplethorpes allegedly done on RC which he admired.) He described
>efforts to save them with Sistan, etc., to little avail.

Ken

[||/\/\/\/\/\/\|| Ken Sinclair RBP, FBPA
[|| ||-| Applied Photographic Services
[|| || | Lethbridge,
[|| || | Alberta, Canada,
[|| ||-| (403) 381-1654.