Re: SALTO sample prints

Carl Fransman (salto@salto.be)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:10:16 +0100

Dear Sam,

I'm very glad you appreciate the effort we put in producing these
exquisite prints.
I have to correct on your comment though. The print are not done with
stochastic! The problem with stochastic that it tends to give prints a
grainy look in the quartertone/highlight areas. To increase stochastic
resolution, dots would become so small that nobody could copy them on
plate or print them. We got around that by modifying a traditional
eliptical screening algorythm which lets us print at 600 lpi and keep all
levels of gray! If you use a 100+ x magnifier, you should be able to get
a clear view of the dots and see how sharp they actually are...
Many thanks for your enthousiastic answer!

Carl Fransman

SALTO
Printing & Lithography

Groenplaats 1