Re: Too much equipment

Altview@aol.com
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

Dan,

It is indeed a sickness, but fortunately not terminal. I too suffer from this
malaise, but discounting the enormous amount of support material that
accompanies this (film holders, case, lenses, accesories, etc.) I wouldn't do
it any other way. I have almost every format ever made, but use mostly 8 X
10, 11 X 14, 7 X 17, 12 X 20, 14 X 17, and soon my mammoth plate which is 18
X 22. The way I work is I usually take around 4 to 5 cameras with me when I
travel and load everything in the back of my Ford Explorer, a great photo
vehicle. I then select the appropriate camera for what I see. I like very
large prints and wouldn't change the experience of working with a large
camera for anything. To be able to see the world through a ground glass as
big as a television set is an extraordinary event, one I would never consider
trading for the digital experience. And to those who have foregone this
experience in favor of a computer because it is easier, remember Carlton
Watkins and his wet plate mammoth plate camera pulled by a mule driven wagon
and the visionary quality of his work. Sometimes being "easy" is not best.
But I don't want to get into a rant about the evils of digital. I'll save
that for another time. Anyway, I say indulge yourself. The experience of
large cameras is not one to be missed.

Patrick Alt