Re: Too much equipment

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:13:12 -0400

There's really no problem in accumulating gear, as long as you can afford it. I
know some folks that just like to buy or trade photographic equipment, but never
actualy take a photo. I know others who photograph professionally, but most of
their work is with the same equipment, but they love cameras and tend to
accumulate items that only get used once a year, if that often. But they love the
gear, and appreciate it, as fine instruments, especially older instruments worthy
of preservation, and I certainly don't hold it against anyone for owning what
they love.

This isn't the same thing as being "a collector," accumulating equipment because
you have to have the complete Leica or Nikon collection, or because the value
will appreciate. When a photographer buys cameras, the equipment is in good
hands, and often that person is more likely to be careful about who they may sell
it to later.

I've accumulated a variety of cameras of differing formats, and when I'm going
somewhere I often have a hard time deciding what to take. I used to think I
should let the subject matter (or opportunity) decide what to take, but I've
since decided that what gear I carry will decide what I photograph that day. And
that's quite all right with me.<g>

But it can be disconcerting to carry more camera formats than lenses in one
bag.<g>