Permanence, my philosophical fussing about rc/fiber and color/silver

fb (aikus@freemail.c3.hu)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:32:03 +0100

There is no any person who know how changing a recently produced RC
in the next 100 years. There are some scientific oracle founded on aging
tests of materials but these are theories only... The early history of RC
was not without problems (spontaneous delamination, nice phenomenons
by residual chemicals in the paper base, etc.) The early versions of
artificial materials in the photography is also not a full-succes story
(nitrate film base decomposition, cellulose acetate with vinegar syndrome
and other cookies).

A few from the potential dangers of the RC: mechanical problems by
aging plastic layer up to producing technology eg: shrinking by loose
residual solvents, or/and rigidity by loosing plastic softeners,
delamination, discoloration etc.

But we have more than hundred years experience with silver-gelatine-
baryta-fiber band so we can threat a bit better the problems of the
preservation in this case -- or at least less number of astonishment can
happen... (Naturally I'm also don't know which version will the winner
about the XXII century.)

The highway of the progression of photographic technology: to create
simpler and faster processes and eg. the permanence is usually not the
first aim. The RC and the standard color materials are also a type of
photographic fast food. The fate of the color materials of 50-s, 60-s is
well known. The permanent processes (Technicolor, Kodacrome, Dye
Transfer, multilayer pigment tissues, etc.) are in most case need a lot of
time, money, work, strong nerves and so on.

Yes, we like to use the fast and simple, the producers like to sell us these
materials and our customers do/can not respect/pay the additional
problems/expenses of the slow and difficult technologies. So the union is
ready on the easier side and the members are create some ideology
also...

Some bread for the future conservators.

Bálint Flesch