Re: waxing negs

Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:15:21 +0100

>>In Britain, "paraffin" is what we Americans (and chemists) call
"kerosene."<<
I'm not so sure about this as my Mother tells us that liquid paraffin is
prescribed by doctors here as an oral remedy for constipation. Perhaps the
medical profession knows something we dont!!!

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT
Tel/Fax + 44 181 883 8638
email: photos@campos-davis.co.uk
WEB SITE: http://www.campos-davis.co.uk

----------

At 99/04/18 10:44 PM +0100, Campos & Davis Photos wrote:
>In the UK we can obtain this wax as a liquid. Paraffin wax. Could this
be
>easier?

In Britain, "paraffin" is what we Americans (and chemists) call "kerosene."
don't know how these terms became so different, but in chemistry, the solid
paraffin is the accepted term, as is kerosene or kerosine (different
spelling,
same compound) for the lower density liquid. In the simple aliphatic
series,
you start with methane (which is CH4) and keep adding carbons and hydrogens
until you get to the solid materials like paraffin having a very long chain
molecule of the formula CnH2n+2(9) (that's 2 to the ninth power). If your
"paraffin wax" is a liquid, it's not what Judy is referring to, as in
chemical
terminology, all "paraffins" are solid, waxy substances.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/